The webpages below feature California specific databases to help you “dig deeper” as you
explore your family history.
- California records may be obtained at this site, some are free, some are for a fee.
California Department of Public Health - California Vital Records
- Vital records for births, deaths and marriages may be obtained at this site for a fee.
California State Library
- California Genealogy Resources are housed in the California History Section of the library. These materials support genealogical research about Californians. Some of the resources include: The California Federal Census Population Schedules for 1850-1930, 1852 California Census, voter registration, city and county directories, compilations by the Daughters of the American Revolution and the California death index from July, 1905-1995 and a California marriage index covering 1949-1986.
California GenWeb Project
- This free website provides a single entry point for all counties and towns within the state of California where collected data is stored. Area maps are also available.
- This website provides information about each of the counties in California as well as links to other genealogical websites, some of which are fee based.
- This is a collection of links to California statewide databases and collections.
California Genealogical Society and Library
- This facility offers extensive support for your genealogy research whether you have California ancestors or no connection to California. Numerous databases are available. There are resources available for non members and additional resources for organization members.
California Genealogy and History Archives
- This website provides links to a plethora of sites to assist the researcher. Databases as well as research tips are readily accessible.
- This website has a compilation of genealogy databases available.
Facebook Group - California Genealogy
- This group encourages members to participate by networking and requesting assistance in finding an ancestor.
Golden Nugget Library
- This library is established to furnish California databases for genealogical research. It is a work in progress and updated frequently. Currently, there is access to the following: Social Registries, articles, directories, Argonaut passengers lists, government rosters, organizations members lists, church lists, 1906 San Francisco photographs, 1870 petitions and links to biographies.
California Historical Society
- The collection at the California Historical Society is a diverse body of materials documenting the history of California through books, pamphlets, manuscripts, photographs, etc.
- The Sutro Library in San Francisco offers the most extensive genealogy collection west of Salt Lake City. It also houses a comprehensive United States local history collection, special indexes, guides and bibliographies. Sutro items may be borrowed through interlibrary loans.
California State Genealogical Alliance
- The California State Genealogical Alliance serves as a statewide association of independent genealogical societies. Links to state and local resources are provided.
California Digital Newspaper Collection
- This is freely accessible repository of digitized California Newspapers from 1846 to the Present. It is a project of the Center for Bibliographical Studies and Research at the University of California, Riverside.
Southern California Genealogical Society
- The SCGS offers access to their online databases, publications and library resources at this webpage. They also offer numerous training opportunities for the beginning, intermediate or experienced researcher.